As my regular readers know, I am eating a lot of extra healthy oatmeal these days! I feel like I have taken on another full-time job trying to increase my milk supply for Boynificent, but I’m thrilled to report that it seems to have worked/be working! For anyone interested, here is what I’ve been doing:
- praying a lot! – I’ve been clinging to verses having to do with the Lord providing food and nourishment to those he loves
- putting ground fenugreek into everything I can think of – this includes my oatmeal, of course, but I’ve also put it in my taco meat, my scrambled eggs, my salad dressing, all my curry dishes, and my chocolate chip cookie bars!
- drinking massive amounts of Mother’s Milk Tea
- adding torbangun (also called country borage or French or Spanish thyme) to my eggs
- adding brewer’s yeast anywhere I think parmesan cheese might taste good (this includes pasta, pizza, salad dressing, and on veggies)
- finally resorting to taking domperidone (which, amazingly, is available over the counter here!) – I want to add a note here that I did not see any noticeable results from the domperidone, and I actually think it might have decreased my supply! I did all kinds of research and no one else seems to have had that effect, so I thought I was crazy, but I finally decided to stop taking it and my milk supply has noticeably increased since then. Grrr, and yay! 🙂
- and, of course, eating my galactogogue oatmeal every morning with added flax seed, chia seed, walnuts, and fenugreek
I like oatmeal as much as the next person, I think, but eating it every morning got a little old for me, so I started coming up with unique mix-ins to change up the flavors. Some were great, and others, not so much (like the time I added Chinese five-spice since 3 of the 5 spices are galactogogues. Good on meat, not so much oatmeal!)
So raisins and coconut syrup are probably my most common combo, but here are five of my favorite unusual mix-ins for oatmeal.
1. Chocolate chips – Maybe this isn’t unusual, but I feel downright decadent when I allow myself to have chocolate chip oatmeal for breakfast. It’s also nice with raisins for a Raisinet oatmeal.
2. Candied ginger – I guess I like chewy things in my oatmeal because even when I add fresh fruit, I don’t find it as satisfying until I add something chewy like dried fruit or candied ginger. The ginger is particularly nice when paired with diced apples or pears.
3. Jellybeans – The girls and I tried this in conjunction with our reading of the book Jellybeans Morning, Noon and Night. It’s certainly not something I’d do every day, but it was a fun change-up.
4. Zucchini – There are lots of recipes floating around the internet for pumpkin oatmeal and banana bread oatmeal which made me wonder if you could replicate a zucchini bread flavor with oatmeal. I’m here to tell you, you can! I just puree the zucchini when I puree my walnuts and throw it in. Even better is the combination of zucchini and chocolate chips. Yum!
5. Cinnamon red-hot candy – It may sound weird, but this may be my all-time favorite oatmeal. I can’t actually get red hots here, so I used up the end of a bag someone brought me to make this, and it was so, SO good. Definitely worth a try if you like red hots!
OK, your turn now. What are your favorite mix-ins for oatmeal? Please, give me some new ideas in the comments section below!!! 🙂