I am still struggling to increase my milk supply for Babynificent. I feel like I am nursing or pumping all the time! As I mentioned before in my Galactogogue Oatmeal post, the effectiveness and even safety of galactogogues is questioned by many, so I try to use only the ones that are good for me anyway. That way, I’m eating healthy foods, and if my milk supply gets a much-needed boost, that’s a bonus! For me, these include oats, flax seed, brewer’s yeast, walnuts, and fenugreek.
I recently was craving chocolate chip cookies. Okay, fine, I’m pretty much always craving chocolate chip cookies, but this time, I decided to actually make some, and I thought I’d try to add some galactogogues. I did some searches to see what’s out there, but since I’m dairy-free, I ended up having to do a lot of tweaking. My starting points were these recipes from Peaceful Parenting and The Humbled Homemaker. Here’s what I ended up with, and it is yummy! I actually think I like it better than my old cookie bar recipe, and that’s saying something! The kids and Daddynificent all love it too, so I think we have a winner!
- 1½ cups whole wheat flour (or a gluten-free flour mix)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened
- 2 Tbsp walnut oil or more coconut oil
- 1 cup ground flax seed
- 3 Tbsp brewer’s yeast
- 1 Tbsp ground fenugreek seed (optional, but a great galactogogue)
- ⅓ cup water
- ½ cup white sugar or xylitol
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup chopped or ground almonds or cashews
- 1 cup chopped or ground walnuts
- 2 large eggs
- 1¾ cups rolled oats
- 2 cups mini chocolate chips OR 1 cup each mini chocolate chips and raisins
- Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat the oil(s), flax, brewer's yeast, fenugreek, water, sugars, and vanilla until creamy. If you've ground the nuts finely, you can add them here. Otherwise, wait till later.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Gradually beat in the flour mixture, then slowly mix in the oats.
- Mix in the chocolate chips. If you have chopped the nuts and left them quite large, you should add them here.
- Dump dough into a 13x9 pan or two smaller pans and spread evenly.
- Bake 20-25 minutes at 350F.
- Allow to cool.
- Cut into bars and enjoy!
Please let me know what you think of these cookie bars. You can, of course, make them as individual cookies if you prefer. They’ll probably bake for about 10-12 minutes then. Other galactogogue recipes I am currently working on include pancakes, gingersnaps, lattes, and a spice rub for meat so stay tuned! And please let me know if you have other ideas for good foods to sneak galactogogues into.